Friday, October 5, 2007

Sex in Advertisement

Advertisements have become so distorted and misleading, it's sometimes impossible to figure out what an is for with reading the copy. I'm a nanny, and the kids are constantly talking about the cool commercials, print ads and billboards. But, when I ask them product was being advertised, they don't remember.

Ads have become so sexualized that they feed into the stereotypes of their audience. Sure, sex sells, but I think that advertisements have become too vulgar. Some of my Women's Health magazines have such highly sexualized ads that I won't read them, much less carry them with me when I'm around the kids I babysit for. Looking at the women in ads is depressing and if focused on, can imply a sense of insignificance--I would like to shop for some of the products in highly sexualized ads, but I don't look like that--it's as though only women who look like that should be associated with that product.

Even covers of magazines portray women in such a sexualized manner, that I sometimes wonder how displaying "acceptable" magazines at the checkout counter is any different than having the playboy or any other well-known "sexual" magazine displayed in that "in your face/front and center slot" below the row mints and bubbly gum.

No comments: