Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Bleepin' Bleep!

I never realized just how interesting media channels are with the things they choose to bleep out of songs. For the purpose of background noise, this morning I turned on CMT and let the music videos just play as got ready for work. The TV is in the living room, and I was in my room doing my make up when some pop song came on, I don't know the name of it, but it's something about wanting to be a rock star. Well the lyrics say something about the girls come easy and the drugs come cheap. But, here's the kicker....they bleeped out the word drugs! Honestly why bleep out drugs, and not women. Not to sound like super feminist, but to me it sounds like they are saying it's ok to be with multiple women and take advantage of the easy ones, but OH NO DON'T DO DRUGS! Why they bleep that word, I really don't understand. Are they looking at the morals and the fact that society backs anti-drug campaigns? But sure, lets tell kids that it's cool to have the women all over you!?!?!

Just an interesting observation, and a sign that this class has forever changed the way I listen to media!

No comments: